Monday, November 25, 2013

I Wonder What Stories She Tells




I know the stories I've told about my Dad
My kids do too – I've told them often enough.
But this morning while I was riffing on the old man's foibles
It struck me.  I wonder. Does my daughter tell this kind of stuff
                                                                 ………….on me?

I know the stories I tell about when I was a kid.
My Mom never knew some things I did back in the day.
If she'd known what I was doing she'd have been horrified.
I wonder, when my daughter tells her stories would they
                                                                   ……horrify me?

I know the stories I tell about my kids when they were young
My kids were there and, when I tell them, off they go to hide.
They complain when I tell stories; don't think they're all that funny.
I wonder if, when I'm not around, they tell their own side
                                                                    ….of those same stories?

My daughter is too much like me, quick witted, opinionated and stubborn.
Like me, she lives her own life the way she chooses, free and wild.
But now I'm old enough to look forward to the stories she once hid from me,
I expect that, when I hear them, I shall discover that she is truly a child
                                                                            ………...of mine?

© by Tom King

No comments:

Post a Comment