Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Unraveling





Unraveling

Some days I do not make it, say something stupid      
  
I almost keep it together then boom, a burst of errant irritation
Some days I do better and thoroughly pat myself on my own back
  
And percolate a smugness that smacks of self-congratulation.


I wish I was a better man and didn't fail so much
  
To keep my temper, to hold my peace when irritated
I wish I prayed a little better; saw my way a little clearer,
  
Self-control and gritted teeth, I find, are vastly over-rated.

Walking day by day with open soul, listening still and small
  
Seems to unravel the threads that bind the muscles of the heart.
Walking day by year, ahead the footpath stretches, God illuminating

   The shabby condition of my tarnished soul coming all apart.

© 2014 by Tom King




No comments:

Post a Comment