Friday, March 17, 2017

Lifting With My Legs


I remember skipping down a woodland path
Because when I was young - it was faster than walking
And not as much work as running flat out;
Skipping’s just the speed for taking in the scenery.

I was a kid then with strong bones and healthy joints,
Because I got my daily servings of dairy and vegetables
And I avoided swimming for at least one hour,
After eating all those recommended daily allowances.

Over the years, I was told to stay out of drafts
Because I might catch pneumonia
And wore a hat in winter so that
I would not catch my death of cold.

My bosses told me lift with your legs
Because it will save your back from damage
And so I religiously lifted with my legs.
And sure enough it saved my back.

I have never had a broken bone in all my life
Because of all that calcium and the veggies,
And I wore a hat and never got pneumonia – not at all;
And never drowned and so far haven’t caught my death.

I seldom skip these days, satisfied with a more leisurely pace
Because all that lifting with my legs apparently wrecked my knees
Running’s too much work, skipping’s out of the question,
But my back’s terrific - so far so good.

© 2017 by Tom King

No comments:

Post a Comment