Wednesday, November 29, 2017

I See the Lightning

 

I See the Lightning

I still see the lightning flash
Even though my eyes are closed.
Illumination comes to me even when
I do not wish to see it.

I still can write in shaky cursive,
Though I have only printed
Since I was a boy back in seventh grade
And my poor teacher begged me to write legibly.

I still can ride a bicycle
Even though I'm old
And my center of gravity
Has shifted considerably.

I still get the urge to take off running
Even though my knees can't take it anymore
Just for the sheer joy of the thing,
To fly like wind across an open field.

I still carry in me all that I have learned
Though most of it I learned when I was young,
It was part of growing up back then,
And to my surprise, a part of simply breathing now.

© 2017 by Tom King

No comments:

Post a Comment