Sunday, June 2, 2019

Sixteen Chapel Hills


Sixteen Chapel Hills

I've often wondered how many towns named Chapel Hill
We have  scattered across this nation.
I seem to hear that name a lot as I have roamed,
Turns out it's not just my imagination.

There are sixteen Chapel Hill's just one per state
Through the South, Midwest and even more
Along the East coast, but you cannot find a Chapel Hill
From the Rockies clear to California's shore.

I think the Chapel Hill's were named for churches;
The white steepled ones on hills where they were raised,
So that, when we looked up, we'd see those crosses high
Above the places where we launched our prayers and praised.

I'm not sure why no Chapel Hills were built out west.
Where certainly there were hills aplenty to suit church people.
I suspect the mountains have something to do with it.
With those rocky spires about, it seems God doesn't need a steeple.

I hope we do not cease to build those chapel hills,
Even if we stop naming towns for such homely places.
I hope we do not cease to praise and pray in them.
And if only once a week, toward heaven turn our faces.

© 2019 by Tom King



No comments:

Post a Comment