Sunday, October 16, 2022

April 30: Seventh Summer, West Coast's Warming

 

 

 

Seventh Summer; West Coast's Warming

The drizzle ended early this year.
   In April when the showers come heaviest.
It's a seventh year and the sun is turned up high,
   The heat will lower the lakes not fill them.

In April when the showers come heaviest,
   But the rain doesn't come, so my bones don't hurt so much.
The heat will lower the lakes, rather than fill them.
   I will lower myself into a lawn chair in the sun.

But the rain doesn't come, so my bones don't hurt so much.
   There are perks to a west coast dry spell.
I will lower myself into a lawn chair in the sun.
   I appreciate the break from relentless drizzle.

There are perks to a west coast dry spell.
   It's a change I welcome. Hey, I'm from Texas.
I appreciate the break from relentless drizzle.
   Though it means I'll have to water the birds and plants.

It's a change I welcome. Hey I'm from Texas.
   Drought is what we do out on the edge of the prairie.
Though here it means I'll have to water the birds and plants,
   And feed extra peanuts to the squirrels and bunnies.

 © 2022 with Tom King

No comments:

Post a Comment