Monday, April 15, 2024

April 3 - Prayer Walking

 

Prayer Walking
by Tom King


How do you pray when you've ADHD like me?
I've found that walking alone along a road through the darkling wood
Early or late in the day is my best most sacred place
To talk to God and make sense of what I have to talk about.
The sounds of the wind, the birds in the trees, the leaves rustling
All nature's choir create a kind of cloak around me
That, unlike the walls of my closet, don't close en in,
But open up my heart and fill my chess with the clean air
And yet dampen the sounds of the noisy world around
Giving me a quiet place where I can hear my own thoughts
And send up coherent prayers to Him.
My knees are shot for kneeling anyway. I'm old
And I've worn them out so that If I sit or lie down to pray,
I'll drift off to sleep or become distracted.
On my walks with Him, my eyes are drawn ahead down the road
Or trail And up to the patches of blue sky scattered
Above the shifting verdant leafy canopy.
It's there that I can talk to God most easily and naturally,
Often out loud so I can hear myself think. It helps
For one as distractable as I to talk to Him in His own house.

© 2024

No comments:

Post a Comment