Sunday, April 8, 2018

My Grandpa Vlad


My Grandpa Vlad

When you get curious about your kin,
   And climb up in your family tree,
You just might find a nut or two,
   A king or a duke or three,

One rainy afternoon I logged onto
   The site of Mormon genealogy.
It didn’t take long before I found
   Kin I only knew from archaeology.

Old King Cole I found among
   The family’s distant upper branches.
Grandpas who lived in castles, some in huts,
   Grandmas in teepees; and some on ranches.

I found St. Arnulf a bonafide patron saint
   When he was dead he proved quite clear
His sainthood by producing for his flock
   A miraculous bottomless keg of beer.

There’s Boadicea the warrior queen,
   And a knight named Halfdan the Old
Grandpa Chuck “The Hammer of the Moors,”
   And Welsh King Conan the Bold.

But when you shake the family tree,
    You sometimes find a jewel,
I shook loose a Moldavian Count
     His name was Vlad Dracul.
     
Yep great grandpa he was Dracula,
    The Impaler. Used to slaughter dozens.
Kind of a shock at first, but then again
   It might explain some distant cousins.

Think I’ll take a break for now,
    From ancestors and searching them out.
So far tonight as I shake the tree,
    Rotten apples keep falling out.

© 2018 by Tom King

No comments:

Post a Comment