Saturday, April 2, 2022

April 2: Packages

Packages
by Tom King

There's nothing like a package
   Arriving in the mail
Unexpected or expected
   A kind of joy that does not fail
To make you feel all special
   Though you bought the thing on sale.

Even if it came from Amazon
   And you bought it for yourself,
It's the mystery of the packaging
   It's the hidden thing itself.
It's that moment of anticipation
   A happiness for myself.

I mean I know just what it probably is,
   And I knew that it was coming,
But still it is the mystery
   That sets my heart to drumming.
That pleasant little mystery,
   That sets me happily humming.

The thing is that until you tear away
   The paper and the shipping tape,
It might be something else than what
   You ordered. In a box the very shape
The other thing was supposed to be.
   From boring just a small escape.

Little mysteries, small offerings,
   Some big, some very small,
Some from near, some from far away,
   From romantic ports of call.
I love arriving packages,
   Wherever from, I love them all.


© 2022
  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment