Friday, April 8, 2022

April 8: The Venerable Language of Love


The Venerable Language of Love
             by Tom King

Given the divorce rate these days,
It seems love could have a pretty short shelf life.
Perhaps the marriage license should come with a notice,
"Refrigerate upon opening," or something like that.'
My Sweet Baboo and I just finished 48 years together.
We've had some serious disagreements.
I've been called some names that surprised me,
At their eloquence and the depth of exasperation
Arising over the passage of steady marching time,
And the accumulation of sometimes bitter experience.
To my shame I've made a couple of shots myself
That wounded but luckily did not kill or cripple.
Over the years, love, nurtured, grows venerable and wise,
And learns to practice nattering with more kindness.
So that love ends the day, with language that binds; does not divide,
Pecks lightly by day then entwines our hearts by night.

© 2022

 

No comments:

Post a Comment