Sunday, April 24, 2022

April 21: Can I Get an Aspirin?

 


 Can I Get an Aspirin?
           by Tom King

Now I've got a headache; it's been coming awhile.
Add to that my galloping arthritis,
I inherited it from Mama's side.
Along with allergies and dermatitis.

Oh, I've got ailments aplenty to talk over with friends,
Relatives, or loved ones who answer their phoneses.
As I age, I collect more aches and more pains.
Helps me keep up with the elderly Joneses. 

I hate talking about medical conditions,
But when we chat with folks our same ages
It takes 20 minutes to cover our surgeries,
And describe our failing kidney's last stages.

I miss the days when I used to discuss,
Hobbies, sports, next summer's vacations.
Instead, we obsess about anesthesia.
And the side effects of our medications.

Right now, I'd like to talk about boats,
Fishing, carburetors, movie ratings.
Anything but the last thing my doctor told me,
Or that I'm steadily deteriorating.

© 2022 by Tom King






No comments:

Post a Comment