Wednesday, April 6, 2022

April 5: In the Wake of the Sunset Clipper


In the Wake of the Sunset Clipper

By Tom King

 When I was in the second grade,
I drew a clipper ship on my Big Chief tablet
Not knowing how, I just figured it out on my own.
The shape of the hull, the rigging, the sails.
When Mrs. Rogers the 3rd grade teacher saw it
Hanging on Mrs. Pauly's bulletin board,
She liked it and borrowed it from Mrs. Pauly
To hang upon the 3rd grade bulletin board.
To inspire here art class to new artistic heights.
I was, after all, only a 2nd grader.

Year after year, I drew other clipper ships,
Some sketches black and white, the rigging
Becoming ever more complex; ever more accurate.
Some in color. I remember the year I turned the flags around
Realizing they would flutter in the same direction
In which the sails were filled and drawing.
Once I'd discovered that, I found I added clouds,
The horizon with the sun down low above the water.
Usually to the right ahead of my clippers in pursuit
But I didn't know if the sun was setting or rising.

All these years later, I still am drawn to clipper ships, tearing
Across the water faster than any of the other old windjammers.
But, I have figured out the thing about the sun, a last detail added.
Definitely it's a sunset and my ships are sailing in its wake 
Trying to keep up and prevent the sun from setting;
To keep ahead of the gathering dusk following along astern.
This I do know I cannot keep the pace much longer.
Darkness in a while will overtake my vessel despite
Her straining halyards, creaking masts and snapping sails.
The wind will die, and I will coast silently into eternity.

© 2022

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment