Saturday, April 1, 2017

April 1 - If I Were God





If I Were God


Were I God, I would not wish
To lose a single beautiful thing
I would take them all as trophies
And when I returned I'd sing,
A victory song o'er all the beauty
That my children saved from loss
Singing over every child of mine whose art
Reflects what such salvation cost.

Were I God, each song, each painting
Each precious thing my children made
In unconscious imitation of creation
Each farmer, each gardener with a spade
I'd gather them all up and carefully transplant
Each musician, singer, poet, healer and homemaker,
Each one who rescues animals, birds or kids
Each child who is a by choice a giver, not a taker.

If I were God, I'd make the world anew;
Strip it bare and start it up again.
I'd scatter my children over every inch
To build homes and rich gardens to grow and tend
To build airy boats, to make wings to soar
Upon the seas and winds like birds all colored bright
To spread joy and wonder as their Father does,
And to drink eternity by Creation's healing light.
 
© 2017 by Tom King

No comments:

Post a Comment