Tuesday, April 23, 2019

April 22 - Don't Tell Me What I Cannot Do



Don't Tell Me What I Cannot Do

Don't tell me what I cannot do. Not anymore.
   I'm not the skinny kid. I go MY way and won't divert.
I've learned the secret from a lifetime of bully boys,
   It's that you do not mind that standing firm will often hurt.
I was a cooperative child - I generally obeyed the rules;
   Then the hormones hit and my rebellion started.
Not much at first. I really did like school.
   And the wounds acquired from the thugs still smarted. 
Enough to keep my hormones in check somewhat.
   It's when I became a "quote" adult it really showed.
The smooth assumptions of my peers became,
   Inadequate to explain how life ebbed and flowed.
I put on weight and muscles and learned all about
   The consequences of surrender and how to defend
Without doing harm and how to take care of those,
   Who were my sacred charges to attend.
I find as the road before me wends away into 
   The inevitable night and then the glorious day,
It doesn't matter anymore who approves of me.
   Save for the One who guides and lights my way.

© by Tom King

No comments:

Post a Comment