Tuesday, April 16, 2019

April 13 - The Subtle Art of Dozing


The Subtle Art of Dozing

When you're young (the younger the more so)
You resist no matter how heavy your eyes,
Or how tired your mind. You do a nap jerk when you
Catch yourself drooping over burger and fries.

Succumbing to the the need to doze off.
Gets easier when you get older and wiser.
For one thing you do more, so you're tired
And you're forced to be an earlier riser.

Still you resist through your parenting years.
You can't nap when there are kiddos around,
Lest you wake with a houseful of fire and smoke
With the sofa ablaze and smoke alarm sounds.

Ah, but once the little darlings are fully grown up,
And sleepless out conquering the world perhaps,
And you're old, world weary, and ache in your bones,
Then its your kids encouraging your naps.

You learn how to take full advantage of

An opportunity to catch you some zzzzz's;
Sticking a pillow under neck or a blankie
Rolled up, a hammock in a cool breeze.

I've learned at my age when I hang with my kids,
That if I'm cranky or grumpy and my wish is,
For a nice little doze, I get sent to my chair.
For a nap, and don't have to do dishes.

You'd think that as short as the time we have left is,
We'd not want to waste it in afternoon slumber.
But to me nothing's better than to nap with my dog

In my lap with me sawing lumber.


© by Tom King





No comments:

Post a Comment