Tuesday, April 9, 2019

April 4 - Hate Speech



Hate Speech

Once in a while we get kind of tired,
Of talking at one another.
Wouldn't it be nice if that happened
More often.

To speak to say your truth in the open air?
Are words, then, a privilege granted by kings or queens
Or a right of birth; sacrosanct and holy?
Inviolate?

I never met a word that ever made me bleed.
Is anything more powerful than humans choosing?
I never heard a speech I could not resist,
If wanted to.

I once wondered what we should do to stop all the hate.
As if it were "our" responsibility to do so.
The arrogant answered, "No choice should be allowed."
Exactly what I feared.

People with mouths that speak unbidden are dangerous no doubt.
Minds that choose whether they would love or hate or fear.
Cannot be fixed nor made better from the outside in - only from
The inside out.

© 2019 by Tom King


No comments:

Post a Comment