Monday, April 27, 2020

April 19 - Officially Old



Officially Old

Happy Birthday, happy birthday to me
Ah, foo. How 'bout let's forget it.
I was 65 last time around.
I'd become a senior I get it.
This year I'm a cool 66 with arthritis.
It's official, I'm legitimately old now.
I could tell by the level of pain in my bones,
I need to admit it somehow.

Now that this dad gum birthday is past,
I'd like to think I'm just a year older.
But it's funny how numbers can throw off your game,
Age can be in the eye of the beholder.
In my head I am twenty I remember the moves
That made me an athletic young fellow.
Though my head still remembers my body's forgot
My muscles have grown steadily more mellow.

Intelligence crystallizes the older you become,
So our responses are slower but wiser.
That's why in some cultures their aged are treated
As respected reliable advisors.
I wish I still held that same sort of opinion
But self-image by media's been corrupted.
Still I can l think with wisdom, come up with answers,
So long as I am not interrupted.

© 2020 by Tom King

No comments:

Post a Comment