Thursday, April 16, 2020

April 6 - I Cannot Find the Music




I Cannot Find the Music

I cannot find the music
  When it's gone from you again.
How can I sing; how can I play
  When the music gives you pain?
When you descend to valleys dark,
   How can I embrace a tune?
How can the silver shadows dance,
   At the darkening of the moon.

It feels like cold betrayal,
   If joy steals over me by chance
While my beloved cannot rise,
   To share a sudden urge to dance.
Dark malignant spirits take
   From us the shared delight,
Of humming two-part harmony
   In the stillness of the night.

I can but wait for sunrise.
   And hold her close as she can bear.
I can only tune my instruments,
   And attend to strains of music in the air.
For some day without preamble,
   It will return once more.
Casting half-forgotten melodies adrift,
   Soft upon us as it has done before.


© 2020 by Tom King

   

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully expressive. A poignant portrayal of the journey you share with a loved one who is bipolar

    ReplyDelete