Sunday, April 20, 2014

April 19 - Sixty





Sixty

It was sixty years today since 1954,
When I made my first appearance here.
I remember putting on my sandals for a picture
Assisted by three Aunts who called me, "Dear".

They used to buy me ice cream
Just to see me shove my face in there.
I almost remember even now.
The cold and sweet in my eyes and hair.

A wife, three kids and 5 cars
That I no longer own, long rusted.
I careened through life not in control and God
Once in a while, my fuzzy bottom busted.

Would it be so awful really,
To take a do-over, a mulligan, a rewind,
For a life I lived, stumbling, not knowing
Quite what I was doing at the time.

So perhaps I will. I’m old and do not like it.
Now that I’m sixty I’ll just stop aging.
From here on out I’ll simply youthen!
Backward through the decades paging.

Perhaps God will take me back an egg
And let me start all over one more time.
Perhaps this time I'll get the lessons right.
And maybe be a better man this time.

© 2014 by Tom King

No comments:

Post a Comment